Pardon me while I stop mid-fight to eat 20 bowls of Stew.
Apple Cabbage Stew. Sounds tasty, yeah? Well evidently in Skyrim the only seasoning anyone uses is Salt. That's fine if you're living in a fantasized medieval Nordic land, but for the rest of us non-Stoics with more than 2 tastebuds who don't actually like eating raw dog meat and mammoth snout, getting this recipe to the Tasty Place was tricky.
- 3 or 4 Sweet Apples, like Honeycrisp or Red Delicious
- 2 lb Salt-Cured Sauerkraut, Canned sauerkraut won't do. Get the naturally cured stuff in the refrigerator section at the store made with Cabbage and Salt.
- 4 Cups Apple Juice or Apple Cider, The sweeter, the better; you're not going to add any sugar.
- Salt to taste
Found these authentic Skyrim apples in a barrow. They look like they'd been there for a couple millennia.
- Empty the sauerkraut into a strainer, rinse and drain well. Squeeze out extra moisture with your hands.
- Dice all but one of the apples
- Add the drained sauerkraut, apple juice and diced apples to a large pot and simmer over low heat for 3.5 hours
- Dice the final apple and add it to the stew
- Simmer another 30 minutes or until the stew is a nice dark golden color.
- Salt to taste
It's actually pretty good - it's a crunchy sweet-n-sour hot dish that can double as a side to pork. It's also vegan. The sauerkraut absorbs up the sugars from the apples and apple juice and it mellows out the tang of the kraut. The longer you cook it, the more caramelized the stew will become, and the sweeter and darker it will get.